There was a large gathering to review progress on the conservation work being undertaken at St Mary’s Church Graveyard. The Open Day was organised to give an opportunity to meet with the stonemasons, conservation specialists and archaeologists working on the project.
There will be a seminar on the overall conservation and restoration project at St Mary’s on the 13th April. For further information click here for link.
Presentation on stone work by Paul Tallis Building Contractor
Some of the Large attendance at the event.
City poster. This shows historic stone work within St Mary’s.
One of our City Welcome Ambassadors assisting with access to a historic crypt.
The Historic St Mary’s Church graveyard was officially opened to the public by our Mayor on the 1st June 2012.
A detailed conservation plan for the graveyard was completed in 2003. The opening of the graveyard is a step in the overall conservation plan for the Church and Graveyard. The church was founded some time before 1205 within the historic core of Kilkenny City.
There will be tours of the graveyard available through out the summer 2012.
Path through graveyard. Copyright : Keep Kilkenny Beautiful
One of the Historic graves within the churchyard. Copyright : Keep Kilkenny Beautiful
Newly opened gateway on to St Marys Lane. Copyright : Keep Kilkenny Beautiful
The Graveyard has a large variety of plant species which are to be protected. Copyright: Keep Kilkenny Beautiful.
Tour underway in Graveyard by Patrick Neary Archaeologist. Copyright : Keep Kilkenny Beautiful