A base line ecological assessment of a section of the Bregagh River was carried out by Flynn, Furney Environmental Consultants on behalf of Kilkenny County Council and Keep Kilkenny Beautiful (KKB) in 1997. The purpose of this study was to gather baseline ecological and hydromorphological data to assess the overall quality of this section of the river and to contribute to the planning of actions for its maintenance and improvement.
Recommendations arising from the study included:-
- A dedicated electrofishing survey of the Bregagh catchment.
- Regular physicochemical water quality monitoring
- Large scale clean-up of all the urban trash
- A full investigation into all the discharge points
- Physical instream works
- Concerted environmental awareness campaign
Since 2017 KKB has been working with Kilkenny Co Co and local city partners to implement many of the recommendations as set out. Follow up monitoring has also been undertaken as part of our Citizen science programme. Control of the invasive Himalayan balsam has also been undertaken.
Link under to the 2017 report.